To have modern and sustainable public infrastructure that facilitates socio-economic development of Tanzania.
To provide modern and sustainable construction works through facilitation of Roads, Ferries, Airports, Mechanical, Electrical and Electronics Matters and Government Buildings that meet the needs of the public.
a.Innovativeness: We apply new technology, techniques and practices to enhance quality, effectiveness and efficiency in the construction industry
b.Professionalism: We perform our duties with respect to professional skills, ethics, state of art standards and guidelines
c.Transparency and Accountability: We fulfil our roles and responsibilities in a transparent manner that is accountable to our principal.
d.Value for Money: We thrive to achieve compliance to standards and specifications with effective and efficient supervision of construction programmes, projects and services.
e.Customer friendly: We ensure suitable, satisfactory and timely services to our customers and the general public.
f.Environmental friendly: We give paramount importance to environmental protection and conservation.
The Ministry of Works mandates were given in November 2010 to cater the following areas:
• Construction Policies and their implementation.
• Mechanical Matters.
• Government Buildings.
• Public Works.
• Engineering and Design Works.
• Materials Laboratory.
• Performance Improvement and Development of Human Resources under this Ministry.
• Safety and Environment.
• Extra-Ministerial Departments, Parastatal Organisations, Agencies, Programmes and Projects under this Ministry.
ROLES AND FUNCTIONS
As stipulated in the Government Instrument; the roles and functions of the Ministry of Works are:
• Formulation of policies, plans and strategies towards development, upgrading and Management of the Construction Sector covering short, medium and long term.
• Setting standards and Monitoring of quality compliance in Construction, Rehabilitation and Maintenance of Roads, Ferries, Bridges, and Government Buildings.
• Monitoring & Supervision of Construction, Rehabilitation and Maintenance of Roads, Ferries, Bridges, and Government Buildings.
• Supervision and Monitoring of preliminary and detailed designs of Trunk and Regional Roads.
• Plants, Ferries, Refrigeration and Air-conditioning systems, and electronic equipments.
• Monitoring, supervision and coordination of various activities of Agencies/Parastatals, Boards and Institutions which are under the Ministry of Works.
• Sourcing of internal and external funds for financing of various projects under the Ministry.
• Supervision of axle load control and transport safety.
• Human Resources development for Ministry’s Employees at all levels.
A. HIV/AIDS infections reduced and services improved.
B. Enhance and sustain effective implementation of the National Anti-corruption strategy.
C. Policies, legislations and strategies harmonized and developed.
D. Management Information System developed and implemented.
E. Improved working environment and capacity building for service delivery.
F. Systems for quality management, monitoring and evaluation improved.
G. Management and accountability of resources improved.
H. Reforms in the Ministry and its institutions facilitated and implemented.
I. Programmes for infrastructure development and maintenance implemented.
J. Facilitation of safety, security and environmental protection systems undertaken for development of infrastructure.
K. Studies and research areas identified and facilitated.
MINISTRY POLICIES AND STRATEGIES
In order to achieve the Vision, Mission and the Objectives stated above, the following policies and strategies will be adopted for the next three fiscal years 2011/12 — 2013/2014:
(i) Promote private sector participation such as local consultants and contractors in designing, construction and maintenance works,
(ii) Prioritize maintenance, rehabilitation and new construction works,
(iii) To streamline and strengthen institutional framework by reviewing institutional functions and taking the necessary measures,
(iv) Establish sustainable mechanism for financing infrastructure development and maintenance programs,
(v) Building capacity in the Ministry and all agencies involved in infrastructure development,
(vi) To inculcate the culture of infrastructure rehabilitation and maintenance, through mass media, e.g. radio, TV and newspapers,
(vii) To conserve the environment for the benefit of present and future generations and produce guidelines for environmental protection,
(viii) To mobilize rural communities to carry out self-help activities in construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of infrastructure through optimum use of domestic resources and labor based technology,
(ix) To increase the availability and reliability of plant and equipment so as to create a competitive market for plant and equipment hire, for infrastructure construction and maintenance,
(x) To develop management systems and quality assurance documents for construction industry to ensure compliance standards and specifications,
(xi) To promote more effective use of human resource through training,
(xii) To mainstream gender into sector policies, plans and budgets,
(xiii) To create awareness on HIV/AIDS and measures to limit its spreading,
(xiv) Enforcement of axle-load and vehicle weight regulations and strengthening of safety programme,
(xv) Promote use of appropriate technologies in transport infrastructure construction and maintenance activities,
(xvi) Enhancing the capacity and effectiveness of professional and regulatory institutions under the ministry,
(xvii) To create enabling environment through provision of necessary working tools and increasing incentive packages to employees,
(xviii) To accord a high priority in transport infrastructure development and increase involvement of private sector and local communities,
(xix) To make good governance an instrument for the promotion and realization of development, equity, unity, peace and involve public in the war against corruption and other vices in society,
(xx) To ensure that foreign funds disbursements are fully captured,
(xxi) Implementing Performance Management System (PMS).